Saturday, November 23, 2013

The Place Of Our Roots



  We are on our way to the birthplace of my Mother and Grandmother.

A quaint little village with a lot of extremely friendly people. 

 Our tour guide Vincent Foley, was one of the most friendly people you would ever want to know in Ireland.  He went out of his way to help me find some people who might know about my ancestors in Oughterard.  He found a young woman who thought she might be a cousin.  Sadly she was not.  However she was able to lead me to a man named Sean who knew all there was to know about Oughterard and it's history. 






Sean, an extremely friendly gentleman gave me an address of his brother in the US who may be able to answer any of my questions.



My Grandmother's and Mother's church in Oughterard, Ireland


The priest, who has access to the records was not available to show us the records of my mother's birth, baptism etc.  These records are kept in the church.











The streets of Oughterard






After a long day in Oughterard, we stopped in Galway for a bite to eat.  We had a lot of fun on this trip to Oughterard.

No comments:

Post a Comment